May 2022 Webinar: “Why the Immune System Kills Beta but not Alpha Cells”
Click HERE to access the YouTube video of the recording.
May 18, 2022 (1:00 PM Eastern | 10:00 AM Pacific)
Presented by: Dr. Decio Eizirik from the ULB Center of Diabetes Research
Topics to be discussed:
- Alpha-cells are dysfunctional but not killed in type 1 diabetes
- Are there different mechanisms for alpha-cell dysfunction in types 1 and 2 diabetes?
- Learning from single cell RNAseq of alpha- and beta-cells exposed to pro-inflammatory cytokines
- How do beta- and alpha-cells respond to viral infections?
- How do beta- and alpha-cells respond to ER stress and other pro-apoptotic stimuli?
- A preliminary hypothesis for the alpha-cells resistance to apoptosis in type 1 diabetes