News - Awards
HIRN 2018 New Investigator Award Recipients
Recipients of the HIRN 2018 New Investigator Awards
Seven investigators were selected to carryout bold and highly innovative new research approaches to biological problems under current investigation in HIRN. They will join their respective consortium conference calls and attend the HIRN Annual Investigator Meeting.
- Joana Almaca, PhD, University of Miami.
“Changes in Human Islet Microvasculature during Type 1 Diabetes” (HPAC)
- Sangeeta Dhawan, PhD, Beckman Research Institute of the City of Hope.
“Targeting DNA Hydroxymethylation to Promote Human Beta Cell Function” (CTAR)
- Abdelfattah El Ouaamari, PhD, Rutgers University.
“Neuromodulation for Type 1 Diabetes: Harnessing Sensory Innervation to Promote Regeneration
and Function of Insulin-Producing Cells” (CTAR)
- Eddie James, PhD, Benaroya Research Institute.
“HLA Multimer based Characterization of Islet Resident CD4+ T Cells that Target Beta Cell
Epitopes and Neo-epitopes.” (CMAI)
- Amelia Linnemann, PhD, Indiana University.
“Real-time in vivo Analysis of Islet Redox Dynamics” (CBDS)
- Holger Russ, PhD, University of Colorado, Denver.
“Elucidating the Human Beta Cell Translatome in Health and Disease” (CBDS)
- Prashanth Vallabhajosyula, MD, University of Pennsylvania.
“Discovery & Investigation of Noninvasive Diagnostic Potential of Circulating Pancreatic Islet
Beta Cell Exosomes as Biomarkers of Beta Cell Injury” (CBDS)